Getting to know you! Polite topics when meeting for the first time
There are certain topics that are polite to discuss when getting to know someone. Here are some of them:
Getting to know you! Audio Jukebox
Talking about your background
- Originally I’m from….
- I was (born and) brought up in…
- I come from a (sporty/musical) family.
- My proudest moment was…-ing
- I’ve always dreamt of –ing/ wanted to +verb
Describing your language ability
- I’m fluent in Polish.
- I speak Spanish reasonably well.
- I can get by in Portuguese.
- I speak French but it is a bit rusty.
- I know a few words of Japanese.
- I wish I could speak Italian.
like, such as, and that sort of thing
- I like music such as opera, choral music, and classical music.
- I really love modern music like house, rap, reggae, and hip hop.
After one or two examples, we can use an expression meaning ‘et cetera’.
- I’m fond of opera, and that sort of thing.
- I like jazz, rock, and that sort of thing.
Showing a lot of interest
- (That’s) interesting!
- (That’s) fantastic
To teach and practice spoken English, we offer commonly used English Expressions for daily communication & dialogues We also provide pronunciation materials which help in the teaching and learning of a standard English pronunciation.We provide exercises to study or teach them, like mp3 audio downloads, printable worksheets and self-grading exercises.
We have tried to make Englishpond.com a site which offers something for anyone. Our Extras page has all the many tools you may need. We have online dictionaries, translators and more.
ESL/EFL/ESOL Resources- Map
ESL Search Engine
Find English Materials
We offer several ESL/EFL E-books that are hot on most ESL/EFL/English educators' lists. The materials are easy to download and use. They help teachers in the lesson plans and teaching.
Our ESL store puts power English teaching and learning materials within your grasp. There are downloadable E-books, Powerpoint Lessons, Phonetic courseware and lesson plan materials of all kind. Find out more>>>.
This English for Kids Course E-books has over 300 exercises. They include: Printables worksheets, Flashcards, Powerpoint presentations, Video presentations, mp3 audio and all the tools you need to deliver a fantastic lesson to ESL/EFL Young Learners. Find out more>>>.